Tuesday, May 18, 2010

 Antibiotics, Galoshes and Vampire teeth

Good grief… what a blogger loser I've been.  Sorry for my absence.

Life has been a bit hectic lately. I just got out of the shower to wash the lingering smell of vomit off of me.  And I know I have a long night ahead.

Last night I found myself at the urgent care with Momo.  He had a horrible fever and a host of other symptoms.  Turns out he has Herpanginaugly mean blistering ulcers lining his throat.  He also has an ear infection… yep he's an overachiever.  Poor little tike is just plain miserable.  This evening he saw me preparing his antibiotics and out of the corner of my eye I caught him scurry away.    (He hasn't wanted to take any medicine.  I'm not sure if it is because It hurts for him to swallow, or the taste.  But he needs some for the pain, and some to clear up the infection.  I have to hold him down to get him to take his medicine.  It's awful).  He seemed shocked when I found him in the pantry.  He had hidden well, but hadn't taken into account that I could hear him sobbing. I had to pry his little hands off the door knob… he was trying so desperately to keep the door closed.   After coaxing him to release his vice grips he vomited… all over me and the floor.  Scooter promptly ran for rags, I used them to clean us both off and then caused him to take the dosing syringe of cloudy white syrup.   Making me feel even worse, is that after our little medicine wrestle I handed him his sippy cup, then through his sobs I hear him softly say "Tank-cue" (translation: Thank you).  Sigh. 

Last night he didn't sleep much… seriously he was up allllllll night.  We brought in the mattress from his crib and put it on the floor of our room.  He started out there, got about an hour of sleep,  but then ended up in bed with me and J.  He just couldn't get comfortable, and the amount of drool he produced was both impressive and disgusting.  So after a terrible night he finally submitted to sleep around 5 am.  This is when I too was finally permitted to pass out.  I'm one of those that doesn't function well on minimum sleep.  My husband is just fine, but me… I'm a disaster.  So when the alarm went off at 7:30 I straggled into Scooters room to wake her for school.  I returned to bed… and blacked out.  I have no recollection of anything else.  When I did return to life, Scooter was gone. I found Ride helping herself to a bowl of cereal and next to her, on the counter was the proof Scooter had done the same.  I couldn't feel more awful.  Although I didn't intend on falling back to sleep, I did, and left my Scooter to fend for herself.  To dress, eat, and pay attention to the time so she could walk herself to the bus stop. 
This afternoon as she walked in the door my eyes welled with guilt filled tears and simultaneously my heart swelled with pride.   She had her polka-dot umbrella in hand and had worn her flower printed pink galoshes. She explained she had checked the weather on my phone and because it had a photo of a cloud with rain coming out of it, she chose her outfit accordingly. And I have to give her props.  She looked darling.  She even did her own hair and added a matching giant flower headband.  I hugged her and apologized for my shortcomings and she simply said…"That's ok mom, I didn't want to wake you up.  I know you were up all night with Momo." Sigh #2.

And then there is Ride… we dashed out the door to preschool and miraculously made it only a few minutes late.  She dressed herself today as well… and although I wouldn't put her outfit in the category of "cute" it definitely was entertaining.  She brings such sunshine to our home.  Like tonight when I picked her up from tumbling.  There waiting for me, standing under the porch roof to avoid the rain was my lovable 5 year old, wearing black jazz pants that are awkwardly too short (she's growing like a weed) smiling widely to show off a pair of bright pink plastic vampire teeth.  She found them this afternoon, and apparently wore them to class.  I laughed out loud.  

I so often feel these precious little ones are gifts I don't think I'll ever feel worthy of.   They are such examples of patience, forgiveness, kindness and spirit. Maybe a little of them will rub off on me.  I'll take anything they are willing to share... well all except the herpangina;)

15 comments:

  1. What cute little kids you have! So sorry for the illness...my 5 year old has ear infections right now as well :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, what a nightmare! So sorry about your little one. Its awful to have to force them to do things they don't want to do even if its for the best. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was loving the vampire teeth last night too! She was trying to talk to Macy in the car and I only got every other word...awesome. I bet her teachers loved it too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow o wow--herpangina! Yuck. Hope Momo gets to feeling better soon. Get some rest yourself! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was THE cutest post! I loved it! Hope Momo gets better soon and that you get caught up on rest... I am dysfunctional without sleep. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. that made me cry. I can just see it all happening and I know that being a mother is soo hard and I love that you saw the beauty through it all. I love kids - mine especially! I think you have rubbed off on them. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seriously, you poor things. I love how resourceful your children are! Hope Momo feels better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love that story- feel soo sad for poor momo- and soo proud of and amazed by your girls- you must be bursting with pride!
    its ok to have a *moment* of non parenting at times...i wrote about *crashing* to sleep tiday too..
    melissa x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anj, I loved this blog post! It brought tears to my eyes. I've been thinking a lot lately about my kids when they were younger, especially Chase,and Claire. What sweet, precious, innocent times. They are gifts from God, and enjoy them (I know you are), it goes fast. I'm sorry to hear about Momo, I hope he recovers quickly. You are a fantastic mother, Ride's and Scooter's actions are proof of this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahhhh...what wonderful kids you have!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello! Vanessa from
    The Sew*er The Caker The CopyCat Maker
    and guess what!?! I gave you the Versatile Blogger award!

    Check it out at...

    http://sewcakemake.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for all the well wishes and kind words! Momo is doing soooo much better. And last night he slept and so I slept and life it good! So good!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The joys of being a mother. I know we agreed in heaven to all the throwing up, pooping and other such gross things-I like to think we still said GROSS and then ok!
    Your a fabulous Mom-and your words of sunshine through the clouds made me think twice at my own little blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  14. My little Sophie had the same virus too. So glad that this week is finally over.
    And life is Good!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have had a day/night/day almost EXACTALLY like this. What sweet troopers the healthy kids were! Glad to hear he's feeling better and hope it continues and you get LOTS of catch up sleep!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are like a giant blog tip jar. Not necessary, but they sure make me feel good. Thanks for your thoughts!